You are your own business. I heard this from a favorite radio personality, Charly Butcher of WOWO radio. Have you ever thought of your job that way?
Most of us probably live our lives at work fairly passively. We do our jobs, and expect the paycheck. We get assignments, we’re assigned projects… we just do our jobs.
But what will set you apart from others at your office who have been living just like you?
It basically comes down to being actively involved in your job rather than being a passive participant. What if you took a different approach to your job?
Look at you as your own business.
– Act as though the money you spend is your money. Will you use that resource the same?
– Protect your personal brand. Always be aware of your working relationships. Pay attention to how you communicate and interact with others.
– Find efficiencies that will make you more effective and will allow you to bring more value.
– Increase sales and revenue. Businesses do not thrive if revenues disappear. Exceed your goals. Find new revenue streams. Understand which delivery channels are performing and which are not.
– Champion innovation. Read. Think. Experiment. Inquire. Try something new. Interact with other innovators.
Think about this idea. Try it. I think it can transform how you approach your work and will improve your results.