I just shared the following with my team…
Is being a leader determined by a title? Or is it something more?
We have different job position “bands” here (5 in all). Are there only leaders in bands 4 and 5?
Is our CEO a leader only because of that title where a full-time rep isn’t because they are “only” a band 1 or 2?
A Culture of Leaders
It is my opinion that each of us should lead regardless of the position we hold or job grade we have. What is this kind of leadership?
- Bossing people around
- Hording information (“I know something you don’t know”)
- Patronizing others when they seek out your help
- A title
A culture of leaders is demonstrated by:
- Competence – master your role and apply all that you learn
- Credibility – be trustworthy to the member and staff member
- Reliability – excel in your current role and be consistent
- Communication – clearly share information verbally and in writing
- Responsiveness – resolve issues presented to you in a timely manner
- Accessibility – be approachable
- Courtesy – be respectful, professional, and personalize your interactions
- Understanding – act in the best interest of the member. Listen and act.
- Security – demonstrate confidence that the members’ information is secure
It’s your job and it’s my job to LEAD. Don’t wait for someone else. LEAD.