Yesterday, my leadership team and I had lunch with Tim & Todd Baumann of Aunt Millie’s Bakehouse. Tim serves as the EVP of Sales and Todd is the Director of Continuous Improvement / Strategic Growth. I met Tim while standing in a 2 hour line during early voting. We talked about bread, Cubs baseball, and leadership.I later emailed him asking him to meet my leadership team.
I have taken my leaders outside of our office to meet, interact with, and learn from local entrepreneurs and business leaders. Aunt Millie’s has been in business in our city since 1901 and they do business all over the U.S. as overseas (Saudi Arabia, Dubai, etc.). The family who has been leading this company does so with passion, integrity, and great effectiveness.
We had an outstanding time with great conversations and shared insight. My leadership team asks wonderful questions and are very curious and eager to learn and grow.
Here are some of our take-a-ways:
- Creating a culture that lasts for generations takes commitment, consistency, and courage.
- I want to help create a culture that becomes a legacy at 3Rivers – where people love being here while serving our communities.
- Leadership matters– whether a company bakes bread or makes loans.
- It is worth getting better. Always.
- Serving others is a leader’s highest calling.
- “Be intentional”. None of us have all of the right answers however if your head and your heart is in the right place than great things are bound to happen.
- Build trust.
In our community, we have a rich history of successful leaders, entrepreneurs , and community investors. This exercise is proving to add value to my team, those we meet, and to me personally. My team becomes ignited through these experiences. We grow in our leadership journey as we work to always “lift our lids”.