“So how is adding value accomplished? John C. Maxwell has developed three guidelines that help him add value to his team:
1. We add value to others when we… truly value others. Good leaders go out of their way to never subtract value from their people. They are intentional about adding merit and make it part of their core values.
2. We add value to others when we… make ourselves more valuable to others. The premise of adding value to the lives of your team members is based on the fact that you have usefulness to add. Are you able to teach a skill? Are you able to make a career changing introduction? Are you able to open the door to a better opportunity?
3. We add value to others when we… know and relate to what others value. As a leader how do you know what your team values? You listen. Many leaders are too quick to take charge. A good leader takes the opportunity to listen to what every person believes is important, and then leads.”
”When leaders share out a powerful vision and organize and staff the workplace to accomplish it, a powerful dynamic drives employee performance. When leaders walk their talk, it’s a demonstrated motivator for people. When leaders share a strong vision, employees flock to it – even choosing the job in the company over other options.
These are the fundamentals necessary for a vision that excites and motivates people to follow the leader. The vision must:
- Clearly set organizational direction and purpose;
- Inspire loyalty and caring through the involvement of all employees;
- Display and reflect the unique strengths, culture, values, beliefs and direction of the organization;
- Inspire enthusiasm, belief, commitment and excitement in company members;
- Help employees believe that they are part of something bigger than themselves and their daily work;
- Be regularly communicated and shared, not just through monthly announcements and reminders at the company meeting, it must permeate all communication at every level of the organization;
- Serve as the reason courses of action are chosen, people are hired, markets are selected, and products are developed;
- Challenge people to outdo themselves, to stretch and reach.”
Read the entire article here: https://www.thebalance.com/leadership-vision-1918616