Here in the US, we are celebrating Halloween today. Our children will be out and about this evening trick-or-treating and filling their bags will all kinds of sweets. It is rarely scary and always a lot of fun.
So allow me some latitude to ask: do you know what is frightening you in the workplace today? Let me offer up some scary realities that left unattended can bring on unproductive teams and can often lead to chaos. Leaders, be ware!
- Unclear expectations
- Lack of communication
- No company-wide vision
- “Do as I say, not as I do” coming from leadership
- Playing favorites
- Failure to confront issues
- Passive aggressive behaviors
- Lack of investment in the team in mental, physical, and financial wellness, personal/leadership development, community outreach
I listed just a few here. So what is the remedy?
- Ask yourself: “what am I blind to?” Then address those things.
- Develop authenticity. You may need help with this. You cannot merely dictate real change. You need to model it.
- Ask your team where they need help? Then act on what you learn.
- Bring in a consultant to help you deal with really tough issues that have been ignored for too long.
- Communicate. Be vulnerable while keeping the team moving in a positive, forward-moving growth mode. It can be done.
Address what is frightening you and your team/organization. Take the lead to recalibrate if necessary. Keep things real. Keep accountability at the forefront.
Address what scares you. You’ve got this.