I set a goal for 2018 to read at least 12 books this year. In the spirit of accountability, here is what I’ve accomplished so far:
- Leverage (January)
- Mindset (3/4/18)
- The CEO Next Door (3/15/18)
- Millionaire Success Habits (3/4/18)
- High Performance Habits (4/3/18)
- The Energy Bus (4/4/18)
- Everyone Communicates, Few Connect (4/17/18)
- Strengths Finder 2.0 (May 2018)
- Born to Build (Clifton) (7/1/18)
On deck for me are the following books:
- Third Door
- Sharpen Your Verbal Edge
- The Future Belongs to Those Who Dare
- Super Connector
- The Surprising Power of the Coil
What are you reading?
On August 9-10, you can experience the Global Leadership Summit. Be exposed to some of the best leaders from around the world. There are Summit remote locations all over the planet, so nearly anyone can experience GLS.
To register, follow this link: Global Leadership Summit Registration
Attend. Experience. Grow.
I am reading John Maxwell’s book, Everyone Communicates, Few Connect. I highly recommend this book! As you may remember, I strive to read 10 pages each day which allows me to read most books in a month or less. This is book #6 for me since January 1 – yes, I sometimes read more than 10 pages per day! This is one of those books.
In today’s reading, John writes about connecting with others goes beyond the words we use. I particularly like the section he entitles “What People Feel – Connecting Emotionally”. I suppose this struck home with me because I need work in this area. Here are some points that I want to share that are making me think and act differently:
- “The colossal misunderstanding of our time is the assumption that insight will work with people who are unmotivated to change….People can only hear you when they are moving toward you, and they are not likely to when your words are pursuing them. Even the choicest words lose their power when they are used to overpower.” (Rabbi Edwin H. Friedman)
- “The exact words that you use are far less important than the energy, intensity, and conviction with which you use them.” (Jules Rose)
- Effective communicators “pay attention to other people, and they desire to add value to them.”
- Do you want to improve you communication skills in one-on-one, group, and audience settings? “You need to be positive, believe in yourself, and focus on others.”
These are just a few of the tidbits found in this great book. If you are looking for books to read in 2018, add this one to your list!
Are you looking for leadership material to read and apply? I just found a great new resource called LeaderBox. Each month, LeaderBox will send you books on leadership as well as other resources to help you become better: a better leader, a better thinker, a better doer.
I am providing a link that you can use to learn more. Invest in yourself this year. LeaderBox can help!
Click on the icon below to get started:
Or follow this link to get started: LeaderBox
On Friday, November 3, John Sampson (CEO of the NE Indiana Regional Partnership) will be the inaugural speaker at First Fridays hosted by Indiana Wesleyan University. In case you are not familiar with the Partnership, read the following excerpt and visit them at http://neindiana.com.
About the NE Indiana Regional Partnership
Increasing business investment. That’s what we’re all about. We’re here to support your business, build our community, and market our region to the world. How do we do all of that? Together. Collaboration is Northeast Indiana’s secret sauce and the key to building a globally competitive economy in our 11-county region.
Our mission is to build, market, and sell Northeast Indiana to increase business investment.
Our region is made up of Adams, Allen, DeKalb, Huntington, Kosciusko, LaGrange, Noble, Steuben, Wabash, Wells, and Whitley counties.
Click on the link below to RSVP (required for attendance – seating is limited). Plan to be there.
First Fridays November 3
In a little over an hour, my leadership team and I will gather in a room to start a brainstorming session. We’re going to talk about how we can become better/do better. But instead of talking about ethereal topics, we’re going to put a timeline on our path to improvement. We’re going to get specific on how we plan to improve. We’re going to own our journey and our results.
Last week, we all attended the Global Leadership Summit (#gls17, #fwgls) here in Fort Wayne, Indiana. We were exposed to a lot of great content. It’s time to put that content to work for us. Today’s brainstorming session will kick-off this process.
Shock Test? Yes. We’re going to discuss what we would do/be differently when a deadline is applied to something we are expected to provide every day. More on this later…
Today is about being intentional, creative, and influential.
It’s about leadership.